Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Movie Review: Barcelona

I liked it. It's smart, funny, and shows how Europeans tend to think being anti-American is cool, without realizing what tools they are being by being fed incredible amounts of misinformation about Americans and America in general. If you are in a mood for a smart romantic comedy with a dose of a little bit of politics on the side, it's a great movie to rent. Even if you aren't into politics, the characters are likable, smart, thought provoking, and quirky at the same time, the dialogue is funny and witty. Especially fun to watch is Chris Eigeman's (the dude should have a much better career) Fred, who plays an honest con-artist type. The few shots of Barcelona are also nice, although not as spectacular as Vicky Cristina Barcelona which pales in comparison. Very enjoyable, I highly recommend it. This review does a much better job than I can.
It also reminds me that one of the scenes I loved was when Ted is admonishing Fred for revealing some personal information about him. And Fred very apologetically and lovingly explains how sometimes in the flow of the conversation you say things that might be less than appropriate. I really loved that exchange, I'm not sure why - maybe because I have found myself in that situation before - the over sharing I didn't mean to do and then having to face the consequences without realizing my words could cause harm.

No comments: