Friday, September 24, 2004

Your name means what?

The story of my name:
How i came to be known by : Funny, Fagile (little bird= gay boy), Fannl, Fanny (= butt), Lisa, Funny, Funnya, Fanny (= vagina).

When i was born in Leningrad, Russia my parents decided to name me after my Father's grandmother whose diminutive name was Fanya. The official Russian name was Faina - a name my mother detested. So there was a compromise, without knowing a word of English my parents decided to name me Funny (Fani). In another twist of fate they gave me the wrong Jewish name, instead a name that means beautiful i got stuck with Fagile - which roughly translates as "little bird" and in today's Israeli is a slang term for a gay boy. I had an auspicious start.

When we emigrated to United States the people at INS were so competent that they spelled my name this way: FANNL. When i got to my third grade class it was changed to Fanny. In the American English "fanny" is an outdated old ladies name that has come to be an endearing way of referring to someone's ass. Since everyone knows how sweet and accepting eight year-olds can be, i soon decided to look for a new name. I decided on Lisa. I wish i can say that i decided on the name inspired by a Simpsons episode, but alas it was because of another critically acclaimed we all remember as Saved by the Bell. I blissfully walked around as Lisa for a few months, until my parents had a teacher - parent conference. Throughout the conference my teacher kept referring to me as Lisa, when my parents objected in their broken English - claiming they "had not daughter named Lisa." That night Lisa became Funny also to be known as Funnya. And ever since then i have been explaining the progression of my name. However having come to Scotland there is a new chapter to be written in my name history.

I was telling a Scottish girl my woeful tale - when she stopped me. "Fanny?" she asked.
"Well here it doesn't mean 'butt,'"
"What does it mean?" I asked.
"It's a slang term for female genitalia."
It couldn't get better then that. And by "better" i mean worse.
Later that week i was waiting in yet another queue - i sparked a conversation with a Belgian guy. Somehow i ended relying the last part of the story. We both had a laugh when he didn't quite understand when i said "vagina."
A week goes by and i'm in the international student coffee event (don't ask) and i see the Belgian (Nicholas) - i come over to a group of people his standing with at which points he introduces me to his friends by saying,
"This is Funnya," - i'm surprised that his remembers my name most people don't - then i realize why he remembers when he continues - "her name means...."
Oh gawd, my face turns red and i proceed to say that "y name means no such thing" and quickly walk away.

So now you know.

No comments: