Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Stars In the Sky

A while back I took a mini-trip with a friend of mine to her old camp in New Hampshire. Camp is a magical place - whenever you find out someone has been to overnight camp there's a spark of recognition and mutual understanding. Camp is one of those things that you hate for the most time you're there and then spend the rest of the year pining away for.
One of the most enchanting things about camp are its traditions and unspoken social codes. Like the seniority of campers who have been there the longest. Color War (I got to be captain one year. We came in second place out of four teams.) The Friday night dinners (for the Jews) and the sing alongs that followed. You get the picture.
While organizing some of my old papers I came across the old camp song book. The songs turned out to be mostly standard hippy tunes from the 60's. Extremely earnest and corny. There was particular song that i was hoping to find in the booklet - Stars in the Sky. I don't even know if people outside my camp are aware of this song. It's sooo corny, but even now just reading the lyrics i get nostalgic for camp.

Stars in the sky bring the summer right back to me
Tell me you'll try to think about me when'ere you see those
Stars in the sky
It's just a letter from a friend of mine
A little picture from another time
A little picture of a place where we used to go
A word or two about a friend we miss
A fond reminder of a promised kiss
A fond reminder of a vow we made long ago
I found a clip of the song as performed by Larry Milder. And Frankly it frightened me a bit so I won't share. Ain't schmultzy songs the best!?


UPDATE: Full song:
Stars in the sky bring the summer right back to me
Tell me you'll try to think about me when'ere you see those
Stars in the sky
It's just a letter from a friend of mine
A little picture from another time
A little picture of a place where we used to go
A word or two about a friend we miss
A fond reminder of a promised kiss
A fond reminder of a vow we made long ago
(Chorus)
We went away when we were very young
To find the person the we would become
To find the person that was hidden somewhere inside
What we discovered there it still holds true
The friends you make become a part of you
The friends you make will each return to you like the tide.
(Chorus)

And if by chance you should be going there
Please take this message that I hope you'll share
Please take this message to the ones too young to have learned
The time is short and there's so much to do
Don't waste a moment of what's given you
Don't waste a moment 'cause you'll never see it return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this song. Was at camp harlam 2 years ago & it was honestly the best summer of my life. I wish I could relive every moment I was there so badly. :(

Anonymous said...

i love this song so much. it makes me cry every time i hear it because it reminds me of the summer camp i have gone to for years now.