Tuesday, August 05, 2008

La Regalade


This is La Regalade, an oil painting by Édouard Manet which I saw at the Art Institute of Chicago. I like the painting well enough, but what struck me was the description of the title. There is a French word that means, "to pour liquid from a bottle down the throat without touching the lips." This one of my favorite categories of words, Germans have a lot of these - but it's usually has to do with sensations/emotions, not actions.



Speaking of Édouard Manet, he has also produced one of my favorite paintings, A Bar at the Folies-Bergère, I always loved the expression of the woman at the bar - something along the lines of dissatisfied contempt. A copy of it hangs near my sink and I often forget that it's there. Yet from time to time I like to re-examine it and notice all the fabulous details of the painting (notice the legs of trapeze artist in the corner).


And as always I can't write something without mentioning on of my favorite Deep thoughts by Jack Handy:
When this girl at the art museum asked me whom I liked better, Monet or Manet,
I said, "I like mayonnaise." She just stared at me, so I said it again,
louder. Then she left. I guess she went to try to find some mayonnaise for me.

No comments: