Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On Being Good

I never realized how hard it is to be good. When I was younger it seemed so simple, I would actually get angry at characters in books who weren’t good enough. Somehow as time went on, it became clear just how hard it is to live your life and be virtuous, kind, and compassionate. It’s so very hard, but it shouldn’t be.

Also, I find the line between being truly kind and being taken for chump to be very thin and that makes me sad. How does one be kind but still remain strong? How does one find joy in life?

I’ve been reading a lot of stuff on Leonard Cohen lately, there something about him that makes me happy. He seems like the kind of person who is kind, yet strong. A guy who is perfect in his imperfectness and a person who truly communes with life. I like that and wish I can aspire to that kind of life.

No comments: