Thursday, July 09, 2009

Mini Movie Reviews

Twilight - I was curious about this teen phenomenon and finally saw this past weekend. In all honesty I didn't enjoy it much. In fact I was being a snarky asshole the whole time I was watching it. I can understand how teenagers and 40-something lonely women love this movie. It definitely portrays love as an all encompassing force - a blinding, instantaneous boom, that takes over your life without rhyme or reason. And while real love has an element of this drama, it's not nearly as brain dead and tiring as the love of heroine for her vampire boyfriend. I also very much hated the girl who played Bella, she can not act for the life of her. Plain horrible. I wanted to kill her myself - just to shut her up. If you're looking for mindless fantasy with pretty people this is a movie for you.

The Darjeeling Limited- I liked it a whole lot. It was funnier that I expected and poignant too. I forget that Wes Anderson movies do deal with the pain of death and loss of innocence. I remember being shocked at the death in Steve Zissou, and here in this movie I was again shocked by one of the characters dying. I kept imagining him waking up, everyone mistaken about his death. But no, he was really dead.
Some people don't like the very specific style Anderson employs in his films, I actually like it very much. I liked the Bill Murray red hearing at the beginning - I loved the acting by all, especially Adrien Brody. I strongly recommend it.

No comments: