Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Organic Food Con

If you ever been in a produce store with me, you've typically seen me roll my eyes at the organic products. It's one of my soapbox issues. I just think it's a total con, in fact Peter and I will often comment to each other whenever we see a business who advertises as organic - "what a great racket they have going on." Charge more for the same kind of product, while making people feel "safer" somehow.

While I was sick, my mother would only buy organic produce, driving me crazy since it cost more and I knew there was no real benefit to it. It pacified my mother, so I guess that was the only good thing about it. I remember Sam, telling me years and years ago about a professor at MIT debunking the whole organic vs. conventional myth. I wish I remembered the guys name, but basically it stuck with me. So yeah you won't find in the organic section of the store.

"What it shows is that there is little, if any, nutritional difference between organic and conventionally produced food and that there is no evidence of additional health benefits from eating organic food."

She added that the FSA was neither pro nor anti organic food and recognised there were many reasons why people choose to eat organic, including animal welfare or environmental concerns.

Dr Dangour, said: "Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

No comments: