Friday, September 18, 2009

This Time Of Year

This is probably the best time of year to be living in New England. The sky gets all moody, flocks of birds start migrating (south I presume), and the trees start catching on fire ever so slightly. The temperature facilitates between a crisp cool wind and the gentle warmth of the sun. It's close to perfect as you can get.

Last night I happened to pass an old cemetery I used to see all the time as a kid. To my left the clouds were purplish-gray, to my right the sun was slowly setting and the sky was clear. The juxtaposition of dark and light was mesmerizing.

I tend to find large cemeteries to be incredibly beautiful places, one tends to forget you are among the dead. In fact the sounds of nature get amplified - everything the trees, the birds, the grass, and even the wind is more immediate - life, or at least nature, reasserts itself among the dead.

No comments: