Thursday, January 14, 2010

Be Stupid

In the process of analyzing Diesel's "Be Stupid" campaign CheapJap touched on something quite close to what I've been recently thinking:
Most of us live in two tenses: We plan for the future, or we long for the past. Why do we ignore the present? Because it’s where things change; where what’s done gets undone; where what was to be no longer is. The present leaves us marooned on an island amoral to our individual wants and needs, one where nothing exists before or after right now. The only way to deal with it is to just be what you are, the most honest version of yourself.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to be just who I am and stop living in the future and constantly reminiscing about the past, but living in the present seems hard somehow, a condition that I must remind myself to remember to "be in."
I had a profound moment while on vacation, the "be here now" type of thing that I'm a bit embarrassed to even admit. But basically in that moment I felt just right the only thought I had was that I should be where I was and no where else. It was freeing and empowering. The over-thinking, no good can come out of it.

Addendum: I have a few friends who are living in the present and while they aren't necessarily happier they are definitely bolder in their life choices.

No comments: