Monday, January 21, 2013

On The Meaning Of Life

I've been watching a lot of X-Files lately. A lot. In fact I'm already on Season 5 after starting a few months ago. I love the deep love and respect Mulder & Scully have for each other. I love the subtle and sarcastic humor of Mulder. I appreciate the macabre if not right out love it. I also love the dialogue, less the voice overs that accompany some episodes - I was looking for a quote from Mulder about how the meaning of life is the struggle to give it meaning but instead I found this quote, which I kind of adore.

SCULLY: Have you thought seriously about dying?

MULDER: Yeah, once, when I was at the Ice Capades.

SCULLY: When I was fighting my cancer, I was angry at the injustice of it and its meaninglessness. And then I realized that that was the struggle - to give it meaning. To make sense of it. It's like life.

MULDER: I think Nature is supremely indifferent to whether we live or die. I mean, if you're lucky you get 75 years. If you're really lucky you get 80 years. And if you're extraordinarily lucky, you get to have 50 of those years with a decent head of hair. 

No comments: