Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Yet Another Birthday Observation

April come she will
When streams are ripe and swelled with rain
- Simon and Garfunkel

I used to think i was special. Turns out - wrong. I remember a project we did in elementary school, when i was in fourth grade. Everyone got asked when they were born. Each month got a rectangle and the height of the rectangle correspondent with the number of students born in each month. Guess which one was the highest?

Over the years i have learned to live with the disappointment that almost everyone i meet has a birthday from mid-March all the way through all of April. My two closest friends alone have birthdays within a week and days from me. I have stumbled onto multiple blogs who proclaim with out shame (like moi) about their upcoming anniversaries of the-day-G-d-was-cruel and thrust-me-into-this-unloving-world. Hey, at least my birthday isn't on December 25th, i wouldn't want to share a birthday with Jesus. It seems a lot of people like him.

Which leads me to another conclusion: an awful lot of people are having unprotected sex in the months of June and July. Maybe it's the heat or starring too long into the sun which leads people to believe it's a good idea to procreate. Let me set you straight, it's not. Babies are cute and sweet for about two hours then they get annoying. Really fast. I guess if you must have a baby it's good to have in the spring - not too cold and not to hot.

I also think it's hilarious when people discuss couples who are "trying to have a baby." I love it, because essentially "trying to have a baby" is another way of saying "they're having lots of crazy sex,like every night but without any contraception." A weird social norm - for example it's awkward to talk to one's Aunt about the sex life of their child. But it's not awkward to say "Gee, Aunt Rose i hear Lena and Sam are trying to have a baby" it is suddenly ok and even allows one to elaborate further on the sexual practices of one's friends and relatives.

No comments: