Saturday, August 27, 2005

Murph's review of Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm made me go out and get the record a few months back. I haven't bought a cd (for myself) in more than year. So it was quite a weird sensation to buy three CDs all at once. Only now am i coming around to listening to them. I finally put them on my Nomad.

I have to say, like Murph, i like the individual songs more than the whole record. I finally listened to all the songs in a row, without even skipping one, on a long ride from a friend's place. Also, like Murph, i was struck how much i heard the word "baby' on this record. Maybe i was extra sensitive to it since i've been trying to kick the habit of calling people who are dear to me "baby." Most of the time Mann's delivery of baby works, especially if you treat the songs as characters and not Mann singing about her own life. Which is how i usually treat love songs done by musicians. (I don't know if it's only me but i hate it when a female singer sings a song obviously meant for a male singer and vice-versa. I don't know why, it sort of throws me off.)

I loved Mann since i heard her rendition of "Save Me" from the Magnolia album. I listened to it over and over. I was going through a rough patch - my first serious romantic break up (and for a person who tears at the end each school year, endings don't come easily for me) - Mann's voice and poetry sort of dug deep into me. Besides quiet moody music has always appealed to me. On this record, "The King of the Jailhouse," "Video," and "That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart" are my favorites.

Lyrics from "Video"

Tell me why I feel so bad, honey
TV's flat and nothing is funny
I get sad and stuck in a cone of silence
Like a big balloon with nothing for ballast
Labeled like a bottle for Alice
Drink me down or
I'll drown in a sea of giants

Anyone who works Alice in Wonderland reference is my hero. I haven't really taken the time to figure the "narrative" of the record yet. The cover art of the album made think 40's type romance and that was enough for me.

So overall i have to thank Murph (and with who's assessment i whole heartedly agree) for the review and Aimee Mann for providing a lovely soundtrack to my life. Excuse me while i go be moody now.

No comments: