Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I love this anecdote.

Taft was always made fun of in my AP History class - he couldn't get out of a bathtub it seems - or at least that was the rumor. He seems to have a sense of humor though...


President William Howard Taft was an enormous man, weighing more than 300 pounds. While introducing the President to an audience, Senator Chauncey Depew pointed to the President’s huge stomach and said, “He’s pregnant (pause) … with courage.” The audience laughed loudly.
Still pointing to Taft’s stomach, Senator Depew added, “He’s pregnant (pause) … with integrity.” The audience again erupted in laughter.
Then President Taft came to the podium, put his hands on his huge belly, and said, “If the baby is a girl, I will call her ‘courage.’ If it’s a boy, I will call him ‘integrity.’ But if it’s gas, as I suspect it is, I will call it Chauncey Depew.”

No comments: