Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Mystery of the British Accent

I'm over it. You think living in Scotland would harden be to the English accent as just sounding different. But no, I was still one of those people who adored it and thought everything sounded better in a British English. In fact I was like Michael in Arrested Development who didn't detect Rita was "special" because of her British accent.

I was on the very late (delayed by an hour and thirty minutes) train from New York to Boston. I was drained emotionally, physically, what have you. All I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep. However, the British women three rows ahead seemed not understand such simple concepts as talking quietly or behaving as adults should on a night train. Anyhow, at first I thought they were Southern, the accent didn't seem familiar. It was only when one of these yahoos was getting up to yell loudly to one of her friends across the car that I realized they were British. The British accent never sounded so harsh and unsophisticated. And just like that my love affair with it was over.

No comments: